-you smell different when you’re awake
-please help me (then smile as if nothing happened)
-you have lovely skin, I can’t wait to wear it
-your hair tastes like strawberries
-he knows, don’t go home.
-I always knew you would die in my arms
-every time I poop I think of you
-no one will ever believe you
-I killed mufasa
-I bet you didn’t feel me lick your ear
-mother told me it would be like this
do you ever just sit there thinking about how cute Night Vale is with Cecil and Carlos and Khoshekh and all the cute funny little things that go on like the girl scouts and the 8000 rabbits and then just stop and remember a character personally slaughtered an entire team of people for the sole purpose of decorating his work space with their entrails
I’ve seen a few news stories posted on Tumblr recently, which is fine, obviously. You should post news stories. News stories are important. But a lot of these stories are being taken from the Mail Online, the website of the Daily Mail, which some of you may not realise is a bad thing.
If you’re not familiar with it, the Daily Mail is a UK based newspaper which has done more to spread hate, fear and intolerance than any other mass media outlet I can think of. It’s part of Murdoch’s empire of right wing extremism, and is essentially the UK’s answer to Fox News.
Here’s a few examples of its previous misdemeanours. I’ve tried to avoid linking to the Mail Online itself, so forgive me if some of these links are a little subjective in their commentary.
- One of its columnists, Jan Moir, wrote that Stephen Gately’s death was caused by a hedonistic, homosexual and “unnatural” lifestyle within days of his death.
- Its star columnist, Richard Littlejohn, wrote that five women killed by a serial killer were prostitutes, so pretty much deserved it.
- It reported that the BBC showed two men kissing each other on television, and that we should be outraged as a nation.
- Tried to orchestrate a slanderous and blatantly untrue a massive smear campaign against Ed Miliband, the leader of the Labour party, by claiming that his father, a left-wing Jewish refugee who fled to Britain to escape the Nazis, “hated Britain”.
- Another one of its columnists, Janet Street Porter, claimed that depression was nothing more than “a new, trendy illness”.
- And just for good luck, let’s throw in the fact that Lucy Meadows, a trans woman teaching at a school, was subjected to a column by Richard Littlejohn claiming that schools should be “protecting pupils” from transgendered persons, and not “forcing them down their throats”. Lucy Meadows killed herself soon after the article was published.
This is a very short list. I could pull thousands of articles about the dangers of immigration, the rise of Muslim extremism, the “gay agenda” being taught in schools, why women deserve to be raped if they dress provocatively, etc.
The problem with the Daily Mail is that it relies on the left being riled up and angry about their shock-provoking bile, just as much as it relies on the right agreeing with it. They get the large majority of their profits from online clicks, and hey, a click is a click, be it from someone who agrees with their racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic bullshit, or be it from us, who are only there to make ourselves angry. We need to be better than that, and we need to rise above it.
But you will occasionally find yourself accidentally clicking on a link to the Daily Mail from time to time. Links to the website are everywhere, and sometimes they’re innocuous enough, like a plain report of an event. The Daily Mail is a horrible group of people, but it’s a clever one. They know how to get you to click on their links. But there’s a solution.
INSTALL THIS EXTENSION FOR CHROME. It’s called DailyFailBlock, and will block any link to the Mail Online and take you to Google News Search instead, thus depriving the Mail Online of their much needed click-throughs and ad revenue. It also blocks links to the Daily Express, which is just about as bad.
Do not visit the website, do not post links, and do not be tempted after three glasses of wine to go to the comments section and tell these writers why they’re wrong. The newspaper is making less and less money from its print editions, but its online editions are continuing to bring in more and more profit. Even if you’re not clicking on any adverts, don’t give them the benefit of your visit. If enough people completely cut out the Mail Online from their everyday browsing routine, it will strike a real blow against those who publicly oppress minorities for a profit.
As always if you NEED people to see the Daily Mail article itself, use a screenshotting site like archive.is or Readability and link to the resulting screenshot. And if for whatever strange reason you still need to link to the site itself, use DoNotLink - it will prevent your linking from increasing the site’s search engine ranking, even though it will still give the Daily Mail ad revenue and page views it’s better than nothing.
Ahh useful things!
peter capaldi is a blessing on this world
Oh god I was so worried about this too
The more he talks about this upcoming season and the stuff he won’t put up with, the more I’m starting to believe he killed Steven Moffat and keeps telling everyone he’s on vacation while writing all his episodes himself.
which country has the most birds
thats a language
don’t you mean nice redovery
turkey, how did we miss turkey